Bee's Club News
Featured Leader: Dr. Richard Keuhn
Guess Who . . .
Insights To Success: Third P of Success
Welcome members and guests, and Happy Valentine's Week!
Keep apprised of our Club Events Calendar and reserve Monday, March 12th for our Quarterly TeleNetworking Call from 6:30-7:15pm MST. I will be inviting different members and liaisions to host the calls, and they will be profiling various members from each of our lifestyle areas. Recording artist and vocalist and educator, Debborah Ramsey, will be our host that evening. We will feature members such as Don Strankowski, Kathryn Alexander, George Bigger, Liz Mostov, and Joyce Turner. Each of these leaders have unique qualities and areas of strength that could add value and balance to your lifestyles. Register for the call here, and get more acquainted with other dynamic Club members. A surprise bonus gift will be in the wings for all registered attendees on the Telenetworking call!
Speaking of Teleconferences, our featured leader, Dr. Richard Keuhn will also be speaking on Health and Wellness Performance on April 23rd at 6:30pm (MST). More details will be available on the Club Events Calendar and Club Home page.
Join me for more details on the Club Newsletter.
Sign-Up here to be added to our mailing list for this abridged version of our Newsletter.
Sign-Up here if you would like more information on becoming a Sponsor.
Dr. Richard Keuhn
Ten Keys to Better Posture
By Dr. Richard Keuhn
First, let’s start with a basic definition of what constitutes posture in order to have a better understanding of what we want to accomplish. Posture in the context we are discussing is defined as a position of the body or of body parts; a characteristic way of bearing one's body. This implies that posture, good or bad, is a habit and like any habit it will take time, effort and practice to change or improve. So lets get started by dividing these tips into 3 categories: awareness, correction and maintaining good posture.
1. What is good posture? In short, proper posture is biomechanical balance of the axial skeleton. Our bones are designed as the structural framework to hold our bodies upright. Our muscular system works to move and balance that bony support and without the muscular component our bones would collapse in a useless mass. Proper posture and “alignment” of the bony structure minimizes the muscular activity required to hold us upright, move and function.
2. What causes “bad posture”? Bad posture results from many factors including decreased attention to maintaining our physical body, lack of understanding of how bad posture will affect our health, physical injury and even stress or poor self-esteem. The real problem is the longer the bad habit is engrained, the harder it is to change because muscles, ligaments and joints “adapt” to this unhealthy and unbalanced posture causing physiologic changes in the tissues.
3. Common postural distortions include forward head posture, rounded shoulders, dowager’s hump, an elevated hip or shoulder, pelvic rotation, pelvic tilt, foot flare, head tilt and a variety of other abnormalities. These can be signs of a more serious spinal condition like scoliosis (especially in children and teenagers), osteoporosis (in older patients) or early spinal degeneration. If you suspect these types of concurrent conditions you should seek evaluation by a qualified professional.
4. How bad posture affects your health. Posture is the “window to the spine” which is a key component of how your nervous system functions. Poor posture can result in many undesirable effects including decreased circulation, joint subluxation, inadequate breathing, diminished oxygenation of the tissues, lymphatic congestion and increased physical stress on the joints, ligaments, discs and muscles. Consequently, poor posture can lead to a wide variety of symptoms and health problems.
5. The benefits of stretching include increasing awareness of body position, muscle tone, increased flexibility and enhanced blood flow. As we “adapt to bad posture” our muscles adaptively shorten and lengthen causing imbalances, weaknesses, aches, susceptibility to injury and diminished health in general. Proper stretching is the first step in helping return these tissues to normal function. Read entire article in the Club Newsletter
Please post your questions &/or share your experiences related to this article in our forum.
Dr. Richard Keuhn's Profile
Dr. Richard Keuhn graduated cum laude from Logan College of Chiropractic in 1984. He has been if private practice for 21 years. Dr. Keuhn was honored by the Colorado Chiropractic Association with the Chiropractor of the Year award in 2003 and the Community Service award in 2004. He has served as chairman for the legislative committee of the Colorado Chiropractic Association since 2002 and continues to be involved with national, state and local politics. He has recently accepted the role of campaign treasurer for Herb Rubenstein for Congress.
Dr. Keuhn has completed over 600 hours of continuing education specializing in traumatic injuries to the cervical spine, sports injuries, spinal rehabilitation and x-ray. He specializes in working one-on-one with his patients to help them achieve their health goals. He is currently owner of Lakewood Health Partners, a multidisciplinary clinic offering chiropractic, acupuncture, massage and spinal rehabilitation. Dr. Keuhn exemplifies the true meaning of doctor by teaching his patients about their individual conditions and helping them make an educated choice about their health. He is available for private health consultations or speaking engagements on a variety of informative and interesting topics.
Learn more about featured Leader and Liaison Dr. Richard Keuhn in the Club Newsletter or at www.ccqh-leadershipclub.com in Body & Power.
Contact Dr. Richard Keuhn here.
is the famous leader in the sports industry that has won numerous trophies for races in his/her sport for consecutive years. He/she has overcome serious health challenges and illness that would debilitate and/or end most individuals's lives. This leader has become a spokeperson for many philanthripic causes related to his previous illness, and continues to serve as a role model for his/her athletic abilities in his sport of expertise. He/she has made the phrase "pushing the envelope" a stretch beyond our imagination.
The Guess Who™ Game focuses on celebrating famous leaders who display leadership qualities related to one of the Lifestyle Areas in Balance, Spirit & Passion, Mind & Purpose, Body & Power, Family & Plan, Work & Productivity, or Society & Profitability.
If you are a Club member, submit your vote, and if you get this right, you could qualifiy for the Guess Who Game surprise gift. Read more details in the Club Newsletter.
Last Newsletter's (V.1/I.3) Guess Who Leader is . . . James Allen.
First P of Success: Power
First Tool of I BEGIN NOW: Intend . . .
Intend to begin a call for action on a specific goal by a target date—like right now!
Once again, when is the best time to start? Now. Tomorrow is never here, and yesterday is already gone. If we wait until we are perfectly ready, we will never begin. Yes, the time to begin to be is now. We start right where we are and go forward inch by inch, day by day, with the end in mind—as if it is already in our hands. How do we begin? Well, it is said that old unwanted habits can be replaced in thirty to ninety days with new desired habits after a consistend and committed daily call-for-action program. I share with you a call-for-action program that can be easily remembered through the acronym, I.BEGIN NOW.
Intend to begin. Otherwise, you won't. That's right. As much as we think we are fooling, avoiding. and distracting our minds, our subconcious picks it up, and whammo!—our thoughts move us into the action we intend upon them. Think of it like this. Ever go shopping with someone who has no clue what they would like to buy, much less why they are even at the shopping mall? It could be fun and adventurous, however, the lack of intent may leave the two of you a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices that will come your way. You may wander aimlessly, and find yourselves either buying too many things or not buying anything at all. Window shopping is an intent of its own, but shopping without intent, well, now that is a different story.
Now imagine going shopping with someone who is intending to buy a pair of women's running shoes. This type of intent sets up an entire string of images, thoughts, and desires that set the universe in motion. Specific stores are available and welcome you both with service that will assist the runner in purchasing the right shoe for her needs. A sense of accomplishment and efficiency sets you both into purposeful action.Read entire article in the Club Newsletter.
Post your questions &/or feedback for this article by submitting to our forum here.
Gain more on how to use this tool to increase your body's vitality in Insights to Success™.
Excerpt from Insights to Success, The Six P's of Success. ©2006 by Cheri Lutton. All rights reserved.
—Contributed by Cheri Lutton, CEO & Founder, CCQH, Inc. Cheri serves through her work as a Leadership Development Expert, Author, and Media Host/Speaker.
For more on Cheri.
Cooking with Power:
Kick your body into a romantic Valentine's mood with a delicous bowl of red chili.
Steve's Tip™: Read in the Club Newsletter.
Canned garden tomatoes can come in handy with many dishes. I'm always sure to can a few quarts of luscious tomatoes for recipes, even though I use as many ripe tomatoes as possible in my salsa. A bright red bowl of chili is the perfect dish to dress up your Valentine's dinner table. I like to let the zesty flavors of food help stimulate a romantic evening around my home. I wish the same to you. Now, excuse me, I've got some romancing to get off to now!
Steve's Red Chile
Servings: six to eight hearty bowls
Read entire article in the Club Newsletter.
Post your questions &/or feedback for this article by submitting to our forum here.
Excerpt from Steve's Creations-from Soil to Skillet®.©2006 by Steve & Cheri Lutton. All rights reserved.
—Contributed by Steve Lutton, CFO, CCQH, Inc. and Renegade Press, Inc. Steve serves through his work as a Cooking & Gardening Expert and Business Manager
For more on Steve.
*Forward this Newsletter to an admired associate and/or friend.*